Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Nothing but the facts

In my new (old) job as teacher-librarian in a primary school, and after an absence of nine years from teacher-librarianship (in an actual school), it's been my delight these last few weeks to realise that the students at my school are actually exchanging answers to my lesson questions - in the playground! - so they can come into their library lesson knowing all the answers to the question I might ask.

All of Early Stage 1 and Stage 1 (Years K, 1 & 2) students are investigating nursery rhymes this term (and are swapping factoids such as "curds and whey" is another term for "junket"). All of Stage 2 (Years 3 & 4) students are investigating the solar system (and are swapping "Pluto is no longer a planet"). All of Stage 3 (Years 5 & 6) students are investigating rainforest environments this term (and are swapping varied information about "the three-tiered forest").

It's been both hilarious and very satisfying. I'm making a difference - and the students are hungry to learn, and are enthusiastic about impressing me. So cool!

1 comment:

Vacations said...

Best wishes you all from Istanbul...