Saturday, April 07, 2007

New from IDW: TNG: Strategy

This week brought me the third instalment of IDW Publishing's comic mini-series, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Between". Set towards the end of TNG's TV run, this story features the intriguing Worf/Troi/Riker love triangle only touched upon by the episodes, and a Romulan vessel mystery that takes its inspiration from more recent Aenar/Andorian/Romulan arc of "Star Trek: Enterprise". For the first time, we get just an inkling that the various issues of this mini-series are thematically linked.

The artwork is perhaps more even throughout this time, although I had very much enjoyed the previous issue - and I continue to appreciate the high quality gloss paper and the sturdy covers of these comics. i'm still not sure how i feel about the multiple covers. At this point in my collecting, space has become a premium, but the "rare" covers, should I ever be tempted by them, work out to be $19 and $29 each. Give me the $8 cover ($US 3.99) any day.

This issue also features sample pages from the upcoming TOS Klingon mini-series, "Blood Will Tell"; I will be buying at least one duplicate, as the first issue will also come in a Klingon dialogue translation. Today I also saw information online about the next mini-series: "TOS: Year Four". It's going to be a fun year!

No comments: