Sunday, September 07, 2008

Eavesdropping

I'm a real sucker for DVD commentaries. I love them. Especially the ones that make you feel like you're in the darkened room with the commentators. I never really mind buying a DVD all over again if the new edition has extra commentaries!

I think my favourite DVD commentary would have to be the track on the extended edition of "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", in which the four main hobbits (Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd), and Legolas the Elf (Orlando Bloom), share their escapades on the film, gloat about who got more bonus scenes, and reveal how these actors enjoyed mentally torturing their younger colleague, Elijah Wood. Hilarious stuff.

As I was typing up yesterday's blog entry (which was originally planned to be a review but ended up more of a revamped list of episode descriptions, because it's going to take me at least one more 16 hour-sitting, ie. watch 'em all again, to compile all the details I wanted to share), I suddenly realised I hadn't yet played the commentary track of Episode #680 of "Number 96".

I put it on about an hour ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. TV historian, Andrew Mercado, invited Chantal Contouri to discuss her character of Nurse Tracey Wilson in the show. It was essentially the first time Ms Contouri had seen the episode, not having seen more than brief clips in the last 33 years, and her surprise at so many aspects of the show - its characters, the fashions, the writing, the camaraderie of the cast - came across as honest and enthusiastic. Great job Andrew!

Sunday's magic number: 93.1 - Okay!

No comments: