Thursday, June 18, 2020

Ranking Star Trek movie soundtracks

A thread on TrekBBS asked us to rank our favourite "Star Trek" movie soundtracks. I do enjoy all of them very much but, if pressed, I would have to put them in order of most-listened-to, I guess.

Star Trek movie soundtracks

1. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" by Jerry Goldsmith has to come first. One of the first movie soundtrack LPs I ever bought (with a gift voucher from my 21st birthday, a few nights after hearing how great the movie premiere was from a school friend at my party). Played the soundtrack many times before actually seeing the movie. Then loved it even more.

2. "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" - because I already owned Leonard Rosenman's soundtrack for Ralph Bakshi's animated "The Lord of the Rings", so I was very familiar to the style long before ST IV came to cinemas).

3. "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" (tie) - there are parts of these soundtracks that are just magical in the way that they tease out familiar Goldsmith music.

5. "Star Trek" (2009) - Love this so much. Rousing music, great to write with some Michael Giacchino Trek in the background.

6. "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" - Cliff Eidelman (as producer) had already been involved with an anniversary collection, "The Astral Symphony", which has music from the first five movies, so I was intrigued - especially since director Nick Meyer had tried to get the rights to Gustav Holst's "The Planets" suite for VI, which I remember fondly from high school. A great compromise.

7. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" and "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" (tie) - enjoyable, although ST II took a little getting used to after TMP. Parts are so reminiscent of James Horner's "Battle Beyond the Stars" and the two "Cocoon" films, and I played those soundtrack LPs often while waiting between Trek movies.

9. "Star Trek: First Contact" - very different Goldsmith to everything else. I had to keep the original release because the extended version omits Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" and Roy Orbison's "Ooby Dooby".

10. "Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Star Trek Beyond" (tie) - I don't listen to these as often as the 2009 film, but I do appreciate Giacchino's work and JJ's ongoing loyalty to him.

12. "Star Trek Nemesis" - nothing really gripping from Goldmith this time, but I do love the end credits that incorporate the TV series' theme music and "Blue Skies" by Irving Berlin. I wish I'd enjoyed the movie more. The whole "Blue Skies" song, sung by Brent Spiner (Data), is on the extended album - and was recently reprised so beautifully and appropriately by Isa Briones (Data's twin daughters, Dahj/Soji) in "Star Trek: Picard".

13. "Star Trek Generations" - the one I play least and the main theme I have the most problem recalling. Sorry Dennis McCarthy.

No comments: